Sunday, January 16, 2011

Learn PHP

I have not been doing much with hardware this semester. My senior classes are Computer Studies (programming). Some of the students expressed an interest in learning PHP - MySQL. This summer, at the CEMC summer institute for teachers, I was introduced to a package called XAMPP which essentially allows you to run Apache and MySQL databases from a USB Flash drive. I tried a few tutorials out and put together one of my own. The students were successful with my tutorial and were able to continue on and try out things on their own. One of the students, Shameel Khan, extended his learning by creating a Facebook-like application. Shameel documented his work in the form of 8 tutorials. This experience is a good extension to the Javascript lessons many students completed in grade 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment